Monday 29 June 2015

Down the Rabbit Hole

It seems fitting that for my first post I introduce the first Sylvanian to join my collection, Sophie Snow-Warren from the Sophie's Dolls House set.  

I bought the Sophie's Dolls House set back in 2007 because she came with 2 miniature doll houses (tiny versions of Bramble Cottage & Lakeside Lodge) + miniature furniture for the houses, which I wanted for my small ball-jointed doll.  Sophie became a friend for her & until just over a year ago she remained my sole Sylvanian.

Sylvanian Families were a little past my time when they first came out in 1985.  At the time I was 13 years old, & more interested in fashion design, art, & alternative rock & post-punk music.  From the 1990's onwards I often looked at Sylvanian Families items in toy shops, appreciated their cuteness & considered buying some, but when I got more into dolls & toys as an adult, my interests for many years were larger 1/6 scale dolls.  In more recent years my focus has shifted more & more to smaller dolls & dollhouses & miniatures & so I guess it was only a matter of time before the world of Sylvania beckoned.

At first I was drawn solely to the rabbit families, & I thought they would be the only figures I'd collect, but in September of 2014 I added the Trunk elephant family to my tiny ragtag collection of rabbits & from that point I got sucked into the world of Sylvania more & more.  

Hawthorn Bay is my imaginary little corner of Sylvania, but I'll write more about that another time..  It's taken me a while to finally get going with this blog, but I hope you'll enjoy learning more about the Sylvanian Families of Hawthorn Bay, & my adventures down the rabbit-hole that is the world of Sylvania.



2 comments: